Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Wednesday update

The first photo below is right across the street from us. Note, too, the US Navy helicopter flying by.


Today, we worked at a tent camp on the other side of the airport. In fact, many of the tents use the airport fence as one of their walls. It was a small community, but plenty of work to be done.

We only saw about 300 hundred patients today, but that was in 3 hours. We were setup inside thr courtyard of someone's house, which also serves as the office for a local organization that helps coordinate aid to these communities. Albeit small, we had a good setup with only one single doorway into thr courtyard. That proved very important as the crowd grew after our arrival. Most of us didn't hear the fray outside the walls, but I happened to step out just as Kristy, our fearless leader, was standing up to address the crowd. The second photo below is just before she told them to calm down or we were leaving. 
Kristy's in the blue scrubs in the top right.

Anyway, due to safety concerns, we did have to leave after seeing only 300. We had no incidents and were never in danger, but we also wanted to avoid situations before they got the point of "incidents."

We treated a couple of interesting patients here in the mission compound. There's a kid who may have JRA (juvenile rhematoid arthritis.) We also have a guy who lives in the mission compound who we think has malaria. He's pretty sick right now, so pray for both of these people.

We continued to treat a lot of primary care issues today. Sometimes we wonder, why exactly are we here? Is this really disaster relief? Where are all the broken bones and disaster related injuries? One of my patients put it in perspective. He has diabetes and high blood pressure. He was seeing a doctor and on medications. When asked if he would return to his doctor, he told me, "I don't know where any doctors are." There simply isn't access to routine medical care. Only a few of the hospitals are even open.

As we drove to the clinic site today, I hurt for these people in a new way. Many have lost everything. Yes, many already lived in exfreme poverty and owned almost nothing - but that makes the loss even harder. Especially when all you do have is family and friends, and that's the very thing you lost. I had one 12 year old child tell me his story about the day the quake hit. He said he wad riding his bike, and after the quake, he ran home, worried about his family. Hid house was destroyed. "But I only lost one sister" he said in a tone of relief. Only one?? What has this boy seen, that he is thankful that he only lost one sister. Now, I'm sure I've told my sisters before that I wanted to trade them in, but the truth is, I would be devastated if I lost either of them tragically. I can't imagine seeing so much death around me.

Pray for Haiti. Pray for the glory of God, love of Jesus, and peace of the Holy Spirit to wash over this country. Thanks to each one of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment